Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Nursing
- Smedley B.D. Stith A.Y. Nelson A.R. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. National Academy Press, 2002
- Implicit racial/ethnic bias among health care professionals and its influence on health care outcomes: a systematic review.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e60-e76https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2015.302903
- Racial disparity in the clinical risk assessment.Community Ment Health J. 2019; 56: 586-591https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-019-00516-3
- The role of bias by emergency department providers in care for American Indian children.Med Care. 2016; 54: 562-569https://doi.org/10.1097/mlr.0000000000000533
- Is the lack of specific lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) health care education in medical school a cause for concern? Evidence from a survey of knowledge and practice among UK medical students.J Homosex. 2017; 64: 367-381https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2016.1190218
- Exploring the attitudes, knowledge and beliefs of nurses and midwives of the healthcare needs of the LGBTQ population: an integrative review.Nurse Educ Today. 2017; 53: 67-77https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2017.04.008
- Racial bias and its impact on children and adolescents.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2020; 67: 425-436https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcl.2019.12.011
- Explicit and implicit disability attitudes of healthcare providers.Rehabil Psychol. 2020; 65: 101-112https://doi.org/10.1037/rep0000317
- Racism in US nursing.Med Anthropol Q. 1993; 7: 346-362https://doi.org/10.1525/maq.1993.7.4.02a00040
- Discourse of race and racism in nursing: an integrative review of literature.Public Health Nurs. 2020; 38: 115-130https://doi.org/10.1111/phn.12828
Mandavilli A. JAMA editor placed on leave after deputy’s comments on racism. New York Times. Published. April 10, 2021. Accessed October 15, 2021. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/health/jama-bauchner-race-medicine.html
- Law, race, and the epistemology of ignorance.Hastings Race Pover Law J. 2020; 17: 507
- Microaggressions: clarification, evidence, and impact.Perspect Psychol Sci. 2020; 15: 3-26https://doi.org/10.1177/1745691619827499
- The 2017 national nursing workforce survey.J Nurs Regul. 2018; 9: S1-S88https://doi.org/10.1016/s2155-8256(18)30131-5
By the numbers: nursing statistics. Carson-Newman University Online; 2022. Accessed May 23, 2022. https://onlinenursing.cn.edu/news/nursing-by-the-numbers.
- National League for Nursing. Published 2017. Accessed April 1, 2022.
- White dominance in nursing education: a target for anti-racist efforts.Nurs Inq. 2020; 28: e12379https://doi.org/10.1111/nin.12379
- Rewriting the microaggression narrative: enhancing nursing students’ ability to respond.Nurse Educ. 2021; 46: 96-100https://doi.org/10.1097/nne.0000000000000850
Commission’s foundational report on racism in nursing. American Nurses Association. Published. 2022. Accessed May 1, 2022. https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/workforce/racism-in-nursing/national-commission-to-address-racism-in-nursing/commissions-foundational-report-on-racism-in-nursing/.
- The racial and ethnic microaggressions scale (REMS): construction, reliability, and validity.J Couns Psychol. 2011; 58: 470-480https://doi.org/10.1037/a0025193
- The scale of ethnocultural empathy: development, validation, and reliability.J Couns Psychol. 2003; 50: 221-234https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168
- Empathy towards people of different race and ethnicity: further empirical evidence for the scale of ethnocultural empathy.Int J Intercult Relat. 2013; 37: 648-655https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijintrel.2013.05.003
- Probable inference, the law of succession, and statistical inference.J Am Stat Assoc. 1927; 22: 209-212https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1927.10502953
- Interval estimation for the difference between independent proportions: comparison of eleven methods.Stat Med. 1998; 17 (:8%3C873::aid-sim779%3E3.0.co;2-i): 873-890https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-0258(19980430)17
- Qualitative Content Analysis: Theoretical Foundation, Basic Procedures And Software Solution.SAGE Publications Ltd. 2004;
- Race in the Twenty-First Century.The new Press, 2011
- The future of sex and gender in psychology: five challenges to the gender binary.Am Psychol. 2019; 74: 171-193https://doi.org/10.1037/amp0000307
- Complicated legacies: the human genome at 20.Science. 2021; 371: 564-569https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abg5266
- Short-term outcomes of a diversity, equity, and inclusion institute for nursing faculty.J Nurs Educ. 2019; 58: 633-640https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20191021-04
- Words matter: an integrative review of institutionalized racism in nursing literature.ANS Adv Nurs Sci. 2019; 42: 89-108https://doi.org/10.1097/ans.0000000000000265
- Nursing colonialism in America: implications for nursing leadership.J Prof Nurs. 2017; 35: 18-25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2017.12.013
Bialik K, Fry R. Millennial life: how young adulthood today compares with prior generations. Pew Research Center. Published 2019. Accessed May 10, 2022. https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2019/02/14/millennial-life-how-young-adulthood-today-compares-with-prior-generations-2/Accessed
Fry R., Igielnik R., Patten E. How millennials today compare with their grandparents 50 years ago. Pew Research Center. Published July 27, 2020. Accessed April 1 2022. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/03/16/how-millennials-compare-with-their-grandparents/.
- The association between racial privilege and ethnocultural empathy.J Humanist Psychol. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1177/00221678211059026
- Does religious belief promote prosociality? A critical examination.Psychol Bull. 2012; 138: 876-906https://doi.org/10.1037/a0028251
- How to Be an Antiracist.One World. 2019;
- Racial differences in pediatric emergency department triage scores.J Emerg Med. 2016; 50: 720-727https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2015.02.056
- Racial and ethnic disparities in emergency department care and health outcomes among children in the United States.Front Pediatr. 2019; 525: 7https://doi.org/10.3389/fped.2019.00525
- Assessing racial/ethnic disparities in treatment across episodes of mental health care.Health Serv Res. 2014; 49: 206-229https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12095
- Racial and ethnic disparities in the management of acute pain in US emergency departments: meta-analysis and systematic review.Am J Emerg Med. 2019; 37: 1770-1777https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2019.06.014
- Factors underlying racial disparities in sepsis management.Healthcare (Basel). 2018; 133: 6https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare6040133
- Validation of a grounded theory of nurse bullying in emergency department settings.Int Emerg Nurs. 2021; 100992: 56https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ienj.2021.100992
- Nurses need not be guilty bystanders: caring for vulnerable immigrant populations.Online J Issues Nurs. 2016; 8: 22https://doi.org/10.3912/ojin.vol22no01ppt43
Campaign for action. Future of Nursing. Published. Accessed January 10, 2022. 2010. https://campaignforaction.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/r2_CCNA-0029_2019-Dashboard-Indicator-Updates_1-28-20.pdf.
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine; National Academy of Medicine; Committee on the Future of Nursing 2020–2030, et al, eds. The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity. National Academies Press; 2021.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing.(Accessed May 1, 2022.)
- The Joint Commission.(Accessed January 10, 2022)https://www.jointcommission.org/en/resources/news-and-multimedia/newsletters/newsletters/quick-safety/quick-safety-issue-23-implicit-bias-in-health-care/implicit-bias-in-health-care/#.Y34mtXZBzIUDate: 2016
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement Multimedia Team.(Accessed May 1, 2022)
- CE: addressing implicit bias in nursing: a review.Am J Nurs. 2019; 119: 36-43https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NAJ.0000569340.27659.5a
Marcelin JR, Siraj DS, Victor R, Kotadia S, Maldonado YA. The impact of unconscious bias in healthcare: how to recognize and mitigate it. J Infect Dis. 2019;220(220 Suppl 2):S62–S73. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiz214
- Using retrofit, reform, and reimagine to advance toward health equity.J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2022; 36: 99-102https://doi.org/10.1097/jpn.0000000000000639
- Nurse bias and nursing care disparities related to patient characteristics: a scoping review of the quantitative and qualitative evidence.J Clin Nurs. 2021; 30: 3385-3397https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.15861